How to send email with SendGrid
Knock integrates with SendGrid to send email notifications to your users.
In this guide you'll learn how to get started sending transactional email notifications with SendGrid through Knock. We also cover provider configuration and additional data you can pass through to SendGrid.
- Attachments support
- Delivery tracking (only supported for SendGrid accounts with Email Activity)
- Link and open tracking
- Per environment configuration
- Sandbox mode
Connect SendGrid to Knock
Head to the “Channels” page in the Knock dashboard and click “Create channel” to create a new SendGrid channel in your account.
Once the channel is created, click into it to configure SendGrid for each of your Knock environments.
Here are a few things to note as you configure your SendGrid provider:
- API key. At a minimum, Knock needs an API key with full access to the Mail Send permission. If you’re looking to support delivery tracking, you’ll need to provide Knock with a SendGrid API key that includes read access to the Email Activity permission. (Note: email activity requires a SendGrid paid add-on.)
- Check delivery status. If enabled, you can go to the email activity page in SendGrid to check the delivery status of a given email.
- Enable email open tracking. If enabled, you can go to the email activity page in SendGrid to check the open status of a given email.
- Enable email link tracking. If enabled, you can go to the email activity page in SendGrid to check the link open status of a given email.
If you choose to enable open and link tracking, please keep user privacy top of mind and follow the privacy guidelines outlined in SendGrid’s documentation.
And that’s it. You’ll see the normal email provider configurations for "from email address" and "from name", as well as any environment defaults you want to send for email recipient fields.
Environment default settings
The following fields are optional and if set, will be applied to all email messages sent via this channel within the environment:
Additional data sent
Knock sends the following attributes along with your emails:
custom_args.sender: always set to
custom_args.knock_message_id: the ID of the message this email is associated with
tags: the key of the workflow this message was generated from
You can learn about the role of these SendGrid attributes in the SendGrid API documentation.
Recipient data requirements
In order to send an email notification you'll need a valid